Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Advice from an Alzheimer's patient

One of the best pieces of marketing advice I've ever received came from a woman with Alzheimer's disease.

At one point during my college years, I spent a morning volunteering at an Alzheimer's care facility, visiting with the residents. One elderly lady there - we'll call her Lois - was particularly engaging. We chatted for the better part of an hour. She told me (several times) about growing up in the 1940s, about her husband and kids and grandkids, and about a blanket she was knitting.

She asked me, too, about my life - about my family, my college major, and my career plans. Upon hearing that I was a business major and planned to start a marketing career, Lois became very serious and offered me a piece of advice from her experience. She told me, "Pay attention to the details. The details make the difference. The details are what counts."

Of course, it wasn't until much later that I realized that her words were ones of wisdom, not just the babblings of a senile woman.

The details. That final bit of wordsmithing that changes the tone of an email from demanding to friendly. The watchful eye that prevents lapses in continuity during filming. The slight design tweak that makes a package easier to open.

Sending a handwritten note after an introductory meeting with a new client. Providing scented lotion in the ladies' restroom. Walking a visitor to his destination, rather than saying, "down the hall, up the stairs, fifth door on the left."

The university admissions counselor who delivers acceptance packets to local students in person. The auto mechanic who tops off the vehicle's fluids for free while it's in for other maintenance. The barista who signs her name to each customer's to-go cup.

Any organization is expected to perform their core business correctly. Meet the customer's needs, and they will be satisfied. But it is these additional bits of attention and courtesy that turn a satisfied customer into a delighted customer. That turn an average experience into an exceptional one. That turn a casual shopper into a brand evangelist. That turn a good company into a great one.

Pay attention to the details. The details make the difference. The details are what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment